Thursday, August 15, 2013

August 15, Summertime in Wyoming

Life update!

I am currently on lunch break at work. Thank heavens. I am feeling pretty unfulfilled by my current clerical career (to say it politely), but I have decided not to look too hard for another job until it's a bit closer to winter. Ideally I'll be aiming for afternoons/evening work hours so that I get in more snowboarding time, but we will see how successful I am at accomplishing that. I'd love a magical, high-paying job to just pop-up and exclaim "you're hired!", but it's hard to find anything but low-paying seasonal employment or the typical 9-5 job around here.

In addition to my office gig, I have also been waitressing. The money isn't as great as I'd hoped, mostly due to overstaffing, but the base wage-rate is helpful. I get $8 per hour before tips, so even on a slow day, things work out okay. I am no longer working at the TVCS preschool and I've decided not to return in the fall. The commute was long, the pay was lower than I'm making at my other job, the tasks were unchallenging, and I didn't feel like I was learning/growing in any way. I think it's a great program, but not something I want to go back to doing in two weeks.

I am thinking about graduate school, but still terrified of the GRE. I also keep finding myself contemplating doing another program abroad, but my health has been sub-par lately, so I really need to get that together before I dare venture too far from home. For now, I'm focusing on obtaining a ski-pass and getting myself in better physical shape by the time I have to be a bridesmaid in Laura & Max's wedding. I do recognize the inanity of my perfectionistic tendencies, particularly with regards to my weight, but I think exercise is healthy. I would like my jeans to fit better, which I feel is a good, objective measure of things. I had been running primarily, but started getting some joint issues even from using the elipticross trainer. True to my boyfriend's advice, I've been trying to vary my routine more to resolve that. I've been trying out Zumba & some step classes, in addition to incorporating free weight exercises etc. Honestly I do need to go back on my strict, albeit boring, vegetable & protein diet (similar to Paleo, really). I get so dulled out by it, but my stomach is very angry, my health is declining, and my pants are tightening, so I guess today is the day to start. Goodbye gluten-dairy-nut-free pumpkin cookie, hello green leafy vegetables

As a treat I bought myself smoked salmon and carrots for lunch. Thinking of making pork-chops and butternut squash for dinner. Sorry mango sorbet, you can't join in the fun.

Well, back to work...

















1 comment:

  1. While visiting the Elephant Stay in Thailand, pianist Paul Bartonl had the chance to perform a duet with Peter the elephant. The two performed some 12 bar blues together, and Peter can even be seen shaking his head along to the music. See it here for yourself!
    http://www.qltyctrl.com/elephant-plays-blues-piano-player-thailand/

    ReplyDelete