Thursday, June 7, 2012

In Dar Es Salaam

Jambo!

I am now in Dar Es Salaam, the biggest city in Tanzania! We are on a compound and not permitted to wander outside its walls for the next 5 days (for our own safety due to a lack of language/cultural knowledge). Today I received my first rabbies vaccination. We have also started taking our malaria prophylaxis.

The training is going well. Right now we're mostly going over logistics (money, health etc.) and learning who our PC staff is. I took my first cold shower this morning (but hey, it was a shower!). We use mosquito nets at night and were given one for when we move to our sites in 3 months. My fan, unfortunately, is the only thing that doesn't really work. Sounds like the chattering of dying rats, so I've decided to enjoy the humidity instead.

The food hasn't been very allergy-friendly so far, so I spoke up before lunch. I'm glad I did! Finally have a full belly. They've also been giving us plenty of bottled water which is nice.

My internet time is running out. I will post later. Kwaherini!

No comments:

Post a Comment