Sunday, June 17, 2012

June 12, Moving to the Village



 Yesterday we went to the PC center to get an office tour, get more shots, and buy phones/internet modems. I got a phone that works, but my modem requires me to download java before I can use it. I’ve been irritated about for about 24 hours now, but last night I drank some hard cider with the other PCVs (Peace Corps Volunteers) and chatted until I stopped thinking about it.

Today we moved in with our host families. My family lives in a village outside of the banking town of Morogoro. There are four other volunteers in this village, and all the rest are spread out in groups of five around the area. We will spend some of our time doing trainings in our village with the other four people in our group, and spend the rest of our time training as a big group in Morogoro.

There is apparently a wide range of host families. Some have rats and roaches, while others have hot showers and marble floors. My family has a large cement house with cement floors and a metal roof. I have my own bedroom and a queen-sized bed with a mosquito net hanging over it. They use a pit latrine (squat toilet) and use water to flush things down into the hole. There’s no toilet paper, but there’s liquid soap right next to it in order to clean your hands. I brought some TP with me from the city, so I’m already prepared.  They also have TV and electricity, which I was very pleasantly surprised about. There’s no kitchen, so they do all their cooking outside on a small fire. Today my host mother cut herself while prepping everything. There was a ton of blood that went on the ground, so they used ashes and dirt to cover things up. I haven’t really seen many mosquitos around, but there were an amazing amount of flies outside when dinner was being prepared.

I’m still not completely sure who everyone is in relation to my host family. I have two or three host sisters, one named Jackie like my mom (they thought that was hysterical), but there are also older girls who were sewing here, in addition to some other children who came in and out of the house. Our neighbor came by with her baby (probably about 1 year old) who was amazingly cute. We have a water well right outside so people seem to come a lot to fill up containers. One little girl who was probably about 8 years old came multiple times using her bike. She wasn’t really strong enough to lift the water or push the bike, but she managed to do it with a little bit of help.

The family is very nice. They are soft-spoken but very kind and hospitable. My youngest host sister Priska helped me go over all the Swahili phrases in the phrase book given to me by the Peace Corps, and in return I attempted to tutor her and another girl named Gloria in English.  They were learning how to tell time in English and say things in the past tense. It was pretty difficult to explain things without a dictionary or any real language skills. I have been doing fairly well at understanding the gist of things, however, and I hope to pick things up quickly since no one in my family speaks English. I am confused about some things that were said, but hopefully in time those will become more obvious to me.

Coming here has made everything feel much more real. The drive from Dar was a very interesting event. People banged on the windows of our bus when were slowed in traffic to try to sell corn, cashews, trinkets etc.  Black exhaust is emitted from most every vehicle and people ride and drive pretty recklessly. The landscape is absolutely beautiful out here. The mountain, Uluguru, is spectacular. But there is also quite a bit of visible poverty and a very different way of living.

The food is very fattening (coconuts, avocados, fruit juice, cashews, peanuts, rice, potatoes etc.), but also quite yummy.  There are certain foods I haven’t enjoyed, such as the ultra-chewy beef that can sometimes seem impossible to swallow. My favorite thing tonight was a vegetable sauce made with coconut milk. It was extremely tasty when poured over the white rice and potatoes that were also prepared.  

Meeting back up with everyone tomorrow in Morogoro. I can hear soccer playing on the TV, but it’s already 11:00 so it’s bedtime for me!

Tuttaonana kesho! (See you tomorrow!)

No comments:

Post a Comment