Thursday, June 28, 2012

June 25, My Awesome Host Family


So, as I’ve stated before, I am living with a host family until the first couple weeks of August. Most of the time I don’t really communicate much with them because my mama and dadas don’t speak English, and my Swahili leads a lot to be desired. I did manage to crack a joke when we were sitting outside thanks to my family-tree assignment. Major accomplishment! Plus, later on Priska played with my hair, which was fun. I think she wants me to have it braided…

Anyway, tonight my host brother was hanging out in the living room and asked me if I had a digital camera. I got out mine and showed him how to use it. (We aren’t allowed to let people use our belongings, but I figured it was a good bonding activity to do together. I wouldn’t let him use it on his own, but it was fun to show him the different settings and stuff.) He took some pictures of my host sister Jacky eating dinner, and then we all took different photos of each other. It was really fun!!! I’m a little sad I look like crap in every photo since I’m make-up-less and have my hair all over the place, but I guess that’s my norm now! They want me to get a printed copy of a full-family photo before I leave. They have one from the volunteer who stayed with them last year. Her name was Rose, but that’s about all I know. After I showed them some photos from home (I brought hard copies), my host bro and I talked about gay marriage, Obama, poverty in the US and TZ, if the Free Masons are devil worshippers/if Jay-Z and Rihanna are Free Masons, and my relationship status. He asked me if I supported gay marriage, and I said I did, even though I know I lost major brownie points by admitting that. I don’t mind fibbing about other things like how religious I am, but it felt wrong to lie about that. I explained that I personally support it, but that it varies widely in the US. Talking politics isn’t something we’re encouraged to do in the PC. Anyway I really enjoyed talking to him. He asked me for my FB name and phone number, so I guess that makes us official friends in all senses of the word.

OH! The missing house dada has returned and seems to be well. Not sure where she went, but I assume she was visiting relatives or something? Also, I was given a large piece of sugarcane today. Tracy and Aly (from my CBT) went over to my neighbor’s house while we waited for Sam and Michelle to meet us (my house is on the way to the school), and they gave us each a hunk. This little three year-old girl was gnawing on one piece and also wielded a knife pretty well to hack off chunks of it. People are much more relaxed about childcare here in a number of ways. Often I think the US is too uptight, but here I do worry sometimes about young kids getting hurt. They seem to do okay for themselves, though!

Feeling good about getting myself out of home-sick mode. More info about TZ later! I’ve been meaning to blog about generic cultural stuff, just never seems to happen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment