Sunday, June 17, 2012

June 15, The Not-So-Lost Mzungu


“Mzungu” is the word for a white foreigner here. Today when we were walking as a group in my village, a number of bus drivers clearly thought we were a group of tourists who were too stupid to find their way around. ( Majengo Mapya is not a tourist town at all, so it’d be weird for us to be sight seeing there. Mzungu may or may not have been shouted several times.) Needless to say, I was stalked by a bus…. or two.

I practiced saying greetings to people as we walked. Most responded, many laughed at me/us, and some spoke in English. Greetings are very important here in terms of maintaining social relationships. A typical exchange might go like this:

Hujambo? (Are you doing well/how are you?)
Sijambo. (I’m good/no problems)
Mambo? (What’s up?)
Poa/Safi/Shega/Freshi/Mzuka/Salama etc. (Cool, Clean)
Habari yako? (How are you/what’s the news with you?)
Nzuri/njema/salama. (Good)
Habari za leo? (How is today/what’s the news of today?)
Nzuri/njema/salama.
Habari za nyumbani? (How is home/what’s the news at home?)
Nzuri/njema/salama.
Habari za kazi? (How is work/what’s the news at work?)
Nzuri/njema/salama.
Habari za mchana? (How is the afternoon going/what’s the news of the afternoon)
Salama? (Peacefully)
Salama.
Mzuka? (Literally: Monster?)
Mzuka.

Etc. etc. Sometimes they drop the “Habari” and just say “za ___”.

We did a lot of grammar work today at the secondary school where my CBT group will be interning. (CBT =Community Based Training. Basically every village has 5 volunteers in it, and we split into those groups during certain parts of training. The students were doing exams and are about to have a long break, so we didn’t actually meet any of them. They did have nice bluish-green uniforms from what I could see. It’s both a day and boarding school, but I’m not clear if that’s where my host sister Jackie goes to school. She had on a uniform-style green skirt today, so I’d guess that she does….

Tonight I ate ugali, the main staple of Tanzania. (Corn & Water that is very, very thick and white.) I was served 10 minutes before anyone else, and they were super excited that I was not only eating ugali, but also using my right hand and no silverwear to do it. I’m starting to fit in already! Priska and my mama eventually joined me, so I felt less awkward about shoveling cabbage into my mouth with my fingers. My appetite was a bit better today—I have been feeling very sick all the time, but today I ate more normally. It was also the first time that at both lunch and dinner the meat I had wasn’t too chewy to eat. Chicken is always fine, but I’ve kind of sworn off eating beef here. Pork, apparently, can still be quite good, as demoed by the two meals I had today. Too bad I can’t say it. My face contorts a little and it’s a hot mess when I pronounce it. Good thing chicken is just kuku. I’m contemplating if I’d be willing to raise chickens and potentially slaughter them. So far I haven’t even managed to kill the cockroaches, so I might need to work up to full-out animal slaughter. I just started by crushing the strange bug that tried to crawl in my bed. Looked a bit like a tiny gray lobster…. All  I need now is some potato salad and I’ve got myself a Tanzanian-Maine feast!

Kesho! (Tomorrow! –shortened from Tuttaonana Kesho—see you tomorrow) 

No comments:

Post a Comment