Sunday, June 24, 2012

June 19, 6:00 is 12:00 and 12:00 is 6:00.



 Today we had our first round of microteaching. It was harder than I thought it’d be and I felt a bit discouraged. I also found out there’s a good chance I’ll also be teaching low-level math, although I’m not super confident about my ability to do that.

We learned how to tell time in Swahili. They start the day at 6:00 a.m. rather than at 12:00 pm. The idea is that the day starts when the sun rises, and that night begins when the sun sets. So:

6:00 a.m. American time is kumi na mbili asubuhi, or 12:00 in the morning Swahili time.
7:00 a.m.  American time is moja asubuhi, or 1:00 in the morning Swahili time.
8:00 a.m. American time is mbili asubuhi, or 2:00 in the morning Swahili time. 
12:00 p.m. American time is sita mchana, or 6:00 in the afternoon Swahili time.
7:00 p.m. American time is moja usiko, or 1:00 at night in Swahili time.
Etc. etc.

I understood it better before PJ explained it, but I still get it. I think it’s easiest to just imagine the time starting at 6:00 a.m. rather than translating it from an American clock schedule…or at least I think so. 6 am it is!

After our training today we went as a big group to two different bars/restaurants. I tried Redd’s, which is like spiked fruity ginger ale. We all got dinner, too, which came out a pretty different times since there were about 40 of us there. I got some fried rice that made me feel sick, but I’ve been getting sick the past couple days after eating. No fun. We had to take taxis home (cost 3,000 shillings per person in a group of 4) because the daladalas don’t run very late. Walking home sketched me out a little, mostly because the corn rustles in the breeze. Plus the pitch-black just makes me jumpy.

My host sister was punished tonight, but I’m not sure why. I had already gone in my room for the night, but I could hear most of it anyway. Corporal punishment is the norm here, but I’m still not used to it. She was screaming and pleading, and I will admit I felt unsure of what to do with myself while it was happening. They took her outside at one point, but I’m not sure if that was so I wouldn’t have to listen, or if they did that for a different reason. At training we actually had a pretty lengthy discussion about corporal punishment (in schools) today as well. Apparently the Peace Corps doesn’t mind if you hit kids on the head with chalky erasers, but isn’t okay with you harming or humiliating them. And technically it’s illegal to use corporal punishment according to the ministry. I’m pretty wary of using any method that wouldn’t be considered okay in the US…I’m hoping to find a disciplinary method that I’m comfortable with, that will also work here. Hopefully I’ll be respected and able to refocus my group when problems arise. There are a number of challenges here that don’t exist in the US:

1)   Most students don’t have textbooks.
2)   Many students also don’t have their own pens, pencils, rulers etc. They often toss things about the classroom in order to share resources.
3)   Reading is not part of the culture here. It seems as thought most schools don’t have libraries.
4)   Secondary school is taught in English, but most students don’t speak it well.
5)   Tin roofs = super noisy when it rains. There are also problems with no lighting on cloudy days (in schools without electricity), super noisy crows, harsh winds etc.
6)   Many students have to work at home and don’t have time for homework. Some will even miss classes for this reason, especially during harvest season.
7)   Classes are huge (average of 50-60 kids, but some with 80 students).
8)   Students pretend to be unprepared when in truth they may be disinterested.
9)   Malnutrition and fatigue are common problems that also affect school performance.
10)                   Cheating is easier because desks are so close together.

I’m tired and feeling ill so off to bed I go!

Usiku mwema! (Good night!)

No comments:

Post a Comment