Sunday, June 17, 2012

June 16, Blown power converter


The electricity here is super dirty. It makes me worry every time I plug something in. I think it killed my power converter, which sucks because that’s how I’ve been charging my laptop, kindle, camera battery, and iPhone. I guess I’ll need to whip out my solar charger while we go to CCT…I don’t want to leave my electronics out charging in the sun around my house. Pretty much would be a terrible idea. I’m largely disappointed by this development, but hopefully I can get a new surge protector soon. I’d get one via mail, but that will take 3 months.

Today we did more Kiswahili at the school with PJ, our language and culture teacher. Afterwards I took some pictures of sunflowers and chickens (which are everywhere in my village) and then we went to Michelle’s house. Her house/room is really nice. She even has a mirror and a wardrobe. (There are no mirrors anywhere in my house, and my one piece of furniture is a drawer-less desk. This is pretty normal I’ve been informed.) It was nice to sit and chat for a while, but I do need to take a trip into Morogoro to go to an Internet cafĂ©…. and apparently now to buy a new converter.

I’m still confused why my whole family doesn’t eat together or at the same time. Jackie, my older host sister, never eats, and today my mama ate an hour after I did. My kaka was home, so he ate with me while we watched Nat. Geo TV. Apparently Channel 2 here carries some adventure shows, including one about a British guy who drives around and cooks in a van. Other people from the neighborhood sat in the living room while we ate. There are always a bunch of kids in there. It was really cute to watch one little girl play with two stuffed animals and have them talk back in forth in Swahili. The kids here are all very adorable and most of them address me with the formal greeting you give adults: Shikamoo. When we were walking some little kids also shouted in English at us, which was pretty surprising and impressive. It’s far less cute to me when adults do it…especially when pushy men shout out daladala windows.

I had “chips” for the first time (French fries done in a pan). We also had the usual rice and beans, green leafy vegetable, and fruit juice. Same deal with our lunch, except we had oranges instead of the juice today. Tanzanians are not afraid of carbs and big butts, that is for sure!

Last night I dreamt I was being covered in thousands and thousands of ants, but couldn’t move until they had finished running out of my mosquito net. I thought it was really happening and I’m pretty sure I whimpered and cried a little about it while half asleep. Pretty pathetic. The malaria meds they give us can induce vivid (aka horrifying) dreams. I normally have weird dreams, but the meflo makes them truly quite trippy. Peoples’ faces melting off, scary social situations, bugs eating my stomach etc. There are a lot of bugs and diseases here, but so far I’ve stayed away from the roaches, and they’ve mostly avoided me. One is camping out in my room somewhere, but I don’t feel like finding his exact location under the bed.

Hoping my bucket bath will be warmer than usual tomorrow. I think they are all going to mass, but I’m not sure. I’m fine with getting my own water, but I’m worried about burning myself. They just pick the big pot of boiling water up with their bare hands. I am not nearly as awesome. I’m also impressed how many men and women carry things on their heads here. HEAVY things! Westerners just don’t have any cool skills like that anymore. I will say that cutting boards and potholders are nice, though. And shower nozzles.

Baadaye! (Later!)









No comments:

Post a Comment