Sunday, June 24, 2012

June 22, Goodbye Cat Puke


I have been smelling vomit in my room since last night. Incidentally, the kitten we have had puked under my bed. That’s what the yellow thing was: yellow puke, with some black stuff in it. Said vomit was removed today with the help of Dai,  our very sweet house dada. I also swept and washed my floor. I still smell it, but it’s physically gone at least.  

I am also pretty sure the other house dada is gone. I can’t ask, because I’m terrible with names and forget what her name was, but one day she just wasn’t around anymore. I’m not sure if it would be awkward to ask even if I did speak Swahili well. Was she fired? Did she quit? Disappear? Go on vacation? I’m not sure.

Today was thoroughly boring. I was very happy when training was over. (Listening to special English all day made me want to stab my eardrums.) It was cool in theory because some secondary school kids came and were taught three different lessons by different Peace Corps and Tanzanian teachers, but in truth it was pretty dull. I did enjoy when one kid said, “I like to kill babies” as one of his three “I like ____” sentences in English class.

We also went over different English speaking games today. That was better than the rest of the day, but many seemed impractical to me. Let’s just say I was having a low-tolerance day and didn’t feel very patient. I didn’t sleep well last night (the buibui/smell of cat puke haunted my dreams!!), which didn’t help things.

Lot’s of children said “good-morning” to us on our walk home. I decided to shout “Good Evening” back at a couple of the other kids, just because. Once I was home, I helped peel and cut tomatoes. My host mama definitely was disappointed at how much tomato I took off with the skin. It’s really hard to do with dull knives/no cutting boards! I also tried to stir the coconut sauce, but couldn’t get the perfect swishing motion. The smoke from the cook fire kept going in my eyes, and now they are all puffy and watery. Major fail on my behalf.

Our LCF wore a seriously blinging jacket today. Silver, shiny, striped. One girl in my group couldn’t actually look at him because it made her dizzy. We all got a pretty good laugh out of it. Can’t wait for the weekend! Only half a day of training tomorrow—for the win!

Off to dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment