Sunday, June 24, 2012

June 23, Inside Jokes/Pretty Laid-Back Saturday


I really like my CBT group, and our LCF named PJ. Today I laughed a lot. I’d explain why, but I think the humor would be lost in my attempt to do so. Needless to say, I had a really good time at training, walking with the group to the shops near our village, meeting other host family’s, and making a water filter with Sam and Michelle.  The gated houses where the other volunteers live have cool yards that have very “clean dirt”. (People here sweep their yards, so even though the ground is obviously made of dirt, there isn’t a lot of lose dirt around.) My feet are still completely covered in reddish brown dirt, however, as I walked down the road earlier. I always have to wash my feet when I get home because they literally change color.

Today we also stopped at a bar to hangout for a bit. I didn’t buy anything, mostly because the selection for me is very limited. I also don’t want my host family to get the wrong vibe from me. Drinking here isn’t like it is in the United States, and I’m not sure how they’d feel about it quite yet. My place as a woman is still pretty loosely defined… apparently that will change soon.

Anyway…I am not sure where I should put the water filter I made now…dilemma. I plan on asking soon. Right now it’s awkwardly sitting outside. I also saw a crazy spider in my room once I got back, but I was able to easily toss it out of my room (it was on a bucket lid). I’m toughening up already! Or at least I’d like to tell myself that. Really only the spiders bother me. At night the bathroom walls are always speckled with some kind of cricket, but those are pretty docile. Cockroaches are still pretty gross to me, I will admit. But I’m used to flies being on my food before it’s cooked. I assume their vomit/poop/whatever it is flies do is boiled out once the food is cooked. 

Today the students at the school we intern at were all doing laundry outside. We also met the school board, and they were all very nice and accommodating. We switched rooms—looks like the one we’re in just got painted. My school is private, so it is pretty nice. I got a peak at the dorms today and saw that they had bunk-beds. Not an exciting observation, but it does support the idea that “the bunk-bed experience” is universal.

I had chipsi mayai (French fries cooked in eggs…like a super greasy but delicious omelet) for lunch. I also nommed on some papaya. Papaya is like eggplant for me. I don’t really like it, but I always really want to eat it when it’s around. So I ate like 2 or 3 pieces, and didn’t really enjoy eating any of them. Tonight I bet we are having more potatoes (had them for breakfast too), and probably rice or ugali. Plus a green leafy vegetable and some kind of meat in a coconut or tomato-based sauce…or beans. Then I’ll be served some juice after dinner, as no one seems to drink while they’re eating. From what I can tell, the diet is pretty monotonous here. Lot’s of eggs, rice, potatoes, and beans. I’m already craving things like almond butter and Kind bars. Maine blueberries. Gluten-free pretzels. Tortilla chips with salsa. Sushi-rolls. Pulled Pork. Tacos. Big heaping salads. Shellfish. My mom’s pea soup. Hell, all soups! Mmmmm. American food is so diverse! I think as a special treat I’m going to buy myself some dried mango or pineapple one of these days. I also want to try the cashews but none of them are marked and I’m afraid of peanut contamination. I’ll keep looking for a package that seems safe. Tat-ta for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment