Thursday, November 22, 2012

November 22, I'm Now 23 Years-Old

So, yesterday was my 23rd birthday. (I'm going to miss being 22, but I'm still pretty young.) It was probably one of the most low-key birthdays I've ever had. My mom hurt her back, so we cancelled our family luncheon. I was feeling particularly sick to my stomach, so I also wasn't overly high-energy. Last night I did go out with some friends to Bangor, a city that's pretty close to my hometown. I drank some herbal tea and water, they drank beers and got some food. It wasn't a very crazy outing, but it certainly was good to see people! (And it was right on my energy-level.)

Anyway, on Monday I took what is called a "Nutri-Spec" exam. I got the results yesterday, which showed that I have two imbalances: Anaerobic and Ketogenic. An anaerobic imbalance means that my body doesn't efficiently use oxygen to produce energy. It also means that there's an inefficient movement of nutrients into, and waste products out of, my cells. This causes things like fatigue, allergic sensitivities, dizziness etc. A ketogenic imbalance means that I have poor glycemic control, leading to difficulty handling sugary and fatty foods.

I received a large number of different supplements to take, in addition to a diet plan to follow. I've pretty much already been on the diet they prescribed for the past 8 weeks, but the supplements are new. I'm hoping the supplements make a difference, but I'm also happy to be seeing a gastroenterologist soon*. On Monday I'll also be seeing my family doctor at the hospital here in Blue Hill, and I'm really hoping that he'll refer me to a good gastroenterologist who can figure out if I have any sort of underlying condition that hasn't been previously identified.

Anyway, as you all probably know, today is Thanksgiving! I'm a little sad I can't enjoy things like cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie, but I am excited about the vegetables and turkey. I had some mashed pumpkin for breakfast. Plus, it's just nice to spend time with my family in my beautiful home!

10 Things I'm Thankful For:
1. My family: My mother is one of my best friends, and is always there to support me. She is one of the most creative, hard-working people I know. My father has also always been there for me and loves me through thick and thin. He is intelligent, resilient, and giving. I am very grateful for their support, love, and their belief in my ability to do great things one day.
2. My dog: He is too cute. And loving. And smart.
3. My friends: Near or far, I have some great friends. They make me laugh, and they are there for me when I need to cry. We have some great adventures together, and I'm thankful for the crazy, boring, and fun times we share.
4. My education: I had mixed feelings about Smith, but I am SO thankful for the education that I received there. I'm also happy to still have good relationships with my professors, who were always amazing and inspiring educators.
5. Communication: Call it good or bad, but I love being able to reach people via phone, Facebook, e-mail, snail mail, personal visit etc. I am thankful for the ability to communicate across borders, oceans, and time-zones. I admit it, technology rocks my socks. I didn't mind being without electricity or running water, but having a cell-phone in Tanzania really did make a difference on those days I just really needed to talk to somebody.
6. Soft things: I love comfortable sweaters, fleecy blankets, cushy socks, and warm PJs. I am thankful to be wrapped in a pretty fleece blanket right now, and I will always love the feeling that soft things provide.
7. The health that I do have: I may not be well, but I'm also not laying in a hospital bed. I'm happy to have medical support and to be able to eat and drink at least some of the items on our Thanksgiving docket. More importantly, I'm glad that I can walk, talk, and use my right arm for pretty much whatever I need to do! (I got run-over in August 2011, but my arm has made a pretty strong recovery!)
8. My Italian host family: My Italian host family, the Verdes, will always be my second family. I am thankful to feel like I will always have a place to go in Livorno and in Milan. I miss and love them.
9. Music: Through good times and bad, music ALWAYS makes everything better. I am thankful for the joy that songs bring me, whether I'm listening to them, singing them, or playing them on my guitar.
10. Possibilities: Life is a strange journey, and there are plenty of problems in the world, but there are also a lot of opportunities. I am thankful for the freedom and rights I enjoy as an American, and for the myriad possibilities out there I have yet to discover.

1 comment:

  1. On behalf of our Group, we wish you a belated Happy 23rd, Jade. Glad you got the test results; hopefully the supplements will get your body back on track. Enjoy this holiday with your family.

    ReplyDelete