Saturday, August 11, 2012

August 10, Broken Ring

We got back our tech exams yesterday. Seemingly subjective grading scheme... I got a 91, which was actually pretty high for the group, but I have no idea why 9 points were taken off. Most people seemed to get in the 80’s range, but there was no justification as to why they didn’t ace it. Thankfully it really doesn’t matter/nobody studied for it, so it’s no big deal.

Today was a long day. The real plus was that I got a bunch of compliments on my TZ jersey/an extra big piece of chicken at lunch. Michelle had a pretty serious reaction to her mefloquin and ended up vomiting/having chest pains. I went into the bathroom to see if I could do anything to help and five minutes after she finished puking, I ended up getting sick, too. I am not sure if it was because I heard her puke, or just coincidental, but I have been having major abdominal pain today and ended up losing the greater part of my lunch. I also didn’t feel well yesterday, so who knows. In any case, we spent a long time lying outside while everyone else talked about the first three months at site.

Another tragic thing happened today: my ring broke. Definitely not worth the 5000 shillings, though I really did like it while it lasted. One of the two bands is still on my finger, but the other one broke and ended up scratching me pretty badly before snapping itself into two sad little pieces. I am bummed about it, but the one my mom bought in the states should be coming in the mail soon. Hopefully that lasts a little bit better.

My bags are being picked up tomorrow at 8 am. This has been causing me a dilemma since I had planned to do laundry tomorrow morning. Either I will not get to go to town tomorrow (we are doing this go-around-to-all-the-host-families-thing in the afternoon), or I will have to do laundry in Dar in my bathroom and hope my things dry. I am going to ATTEMPT to do laundry before 9:00 am and get the best of both worlds, but we will see if that really works out. We are leaving for Dar at 8:00 on Sunday morning from the CCT. I am excited to be swearing in soon!





No comments:

Post a Comment