Thursday, August 16, 2012

August 16, Move to Site

So, today was moving day….and what a day it was! The morning was terrible. I wanted to cry multiple times. Instead I just replayed "Time to Confess" and "Cosmic Love" ten thousand times on my iPod. Oh, and "Coast of Carolina". Love that song.

I woke up at 4:00, rushed to get ready, left my ticket in my room, had to run back to get my ticket, dropped my phone on the ground in the process of rushing back, and then had to have my phone then brought to the bus stand by Brian (one of the PC directors, who is a really cool and tall dude). I didn't really have time to say any goodbyes and had to get on a different bus than the rest of the Lushoto group. My mkuu didn't have her ticket, which was also a bit of a fiasco, but she eventually got it and sat next to me on the bus. I then spent about 8 hours feels nauseous/fighting my urge to pee my pants. Once I got to Lushoto I peed in a "public restroom", which was a really awkward experience. My mkuu had to find a kanga, fill up a bucket of water, and acquire soap...and then I had to pee in this room full of wooden planks and tools that had a tiny drain in the corner of the floor. I narrowly avoided peeing all over my feet, and I'm pretty sure people could see me since the kanga didn't actually cover much.The only plus side was that after I returned, I found out that Sam was on the same bus as me! That was the big plus of my day even though we weren't sitting close to each other. It was also nice because I finally figured out where his village is in relation to mine road-wise. Still not sure if it's possible to walk there a different way, or if I can walk to Amy within a reasonable amount of time, but I hope to find out soon. 

The ride from Lushoto to my village wasn't bad. Went from a little after 6 am to 5:30 pm, even though it was supposed to be an 8 hour ride. We had to get out of the bus at one point because it got stuck and couldn't make it up the hill. Buses seriously slow crawl here. SERIOUSLY. It wasn't even that long of a distance from Mombo to my village, just took forever thanks to the really windy, steep roads set alongside cliffs. I didn't really mind the bus ride to be honest, though. I slept and listened to music. It was almost relaxing!

Anyway, I made quite the entrance when I finally arrived in my village. There were literally 100 people waiting at the bus when I arrived, but I'm not sure why. We had to pay some men to carry my stuff the 1.5 kilometers to my house. They all think I'm really rich which is unfortunate. I guess I am comparatively, but honestly I make no money as a volunteer.

Once I got to my house I had to have them bring back my table...not sure why it left. My roof and gate remain unfinished, so I can't use my kitchen yet. Or leave the kitchen door open at night, lest I want rats to come keep me company in my tiny bunk bed. Glenn's cat may be knocked up, so I may get a kitten and teach it to become a ratter. Rats be gone! 

My mkuu was very kind and told me that she's not just my headmistress, but my mother. She is a very kind lady!! She also gave me dinner and mango juice. MORE IMPORTANTLY: She told me she will teach me to cook vitumbua! I LOVE THEM. I am going to start a gluten-free donut/chipsi-mayai business when I get back just to share the magic. You all are seriously missing out.

On another note, tonight at dinner I actually managed to keep what I ate down! It wasn't a lot, but it was a lot more than I have been able to eat lately. WOOHOO. She also gave me a nice, hot bucket of water. It felt really good to get the dirt of traveling off. I can't wait to start fixing up my house/buy things. Right now I don't have much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment