Sunday, August 26, 2012

August 26, Setting Up a Mattress by Headlamp

So, I've decided while I'm burning through battery life I'd post again. Such hard life decisions. I can't wait find out where I can charge things in my village...it will make me feel much better about things. It sucks only getting three hours of computer life...I'm a technology addict, admittedly. Listening to some music to try to perk myself up a little. Sam gave me a bunch of awesome Grateful Dead & Gov't Mule stuff, which is exciting. I'm kind of mildly obsessed with the song "Time to Confess" right now, so I'm pumped to have a better version of it now.

I'm currently watching Hannah undo the straps that kept my mattress halved-over for it's windy bus journey. It's funny because the only lights we are using are from her headlamp and my laptop. It works out, though. I'm getting used to operating in the dark even though I have barely been at site.

Gotta get up at 3:30 in the morning to get Hannah to the bus. Rough timing, but that seems to be the norm in Tanzania. Early mornings and long rides. I had to pay an extra four thousand shillings to transport my mattress today, so I'm glad I can get furniture made in my village. I'm also hoping they finish my ceiling soon. It's pretty dusty and gross in there right now. Plus I can't wait to paint it. Hoping to do some mural stuff with the help of other people, but maybe that's overly ambitious. I just want my house to feel homier. I am going to hang some rice sifters to use as hanging shelves. And hopefully fix up some kind of thing for the clothes hangers I bought. They're nice wooden  ones that only cost 7000 shillings for a set of six. Not a bad deal. I also got some wooden spoons that would cost a ton in America for less than a dollar a piece! And some of those awesome hot pots I've talked about before--hot food is in my future.

I am very excited about the fabric I got to make curtains with. I also can't wait to actually get a bed frame for this mattress. It will be exciting!

Also, I must say the ocean in Dar was ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL. It was a big highlight of going there. I wish I was closer to the coast, but the mountains are pretty nice. Much chillier here, though!

No comments:

Post a Comment