Wednesday, August 8, 2012

August 8, Nane-Nane

Today was nane-nane. It is a very important holiday here, though I can't really say much about it because I was trapped at the CCT taking my final oral exam/final technical exam. Nice timing, huh? The final LPI was an unfortunate display of nervousness and forgetfulness. I have been thinking of the mistakes I made throughout the afternoon, but it's too late now. At least I know what my mistakes were I guess... I did get a 95% on the final written exam, so I don't think they'll kick me out even if I did fail the oral one.

Today we went shopping at the market after we were released from our testing duties. Michelle & Sam bought kangas/host family gifts and we also got something for PJ. I am getting photos printed for my family, in addition to giving them some stuff I brought from the US, but I do feel bad for not doing more. Some people have gotten gifts from their families, so I'm curious if mine will give me anything. Part of me doubts it, but I'd really like a cute kanga or something. Guess I will see...

I got a ton of attention today because I wore a dress with leggings. The dress stops a little above my knee, but it's not short. The shoulders are covered. I don't know why I got so much attention for it...my dada acted all surprised but she had pants on tonight, so I don't get what the big deal was. I guess they were surprised I would wear such a casual outfit on a "work day", but I figured it was technically a holiday anyway!

Tomorrow I get to go in late since we aren't doing swearing-in practice until 12. Other people are doing their LPI's, so I'm glad mine is out of the way! Hopefully I will pick up the dress I had made from the fundi. I hope it fits well! Last time I tried it on the top was a little bit too big.

Several people are sick--mostly people who went to the Dirty South last week. I had a random bloody nose today and didn't feel so hot. It might just be the mefloquin though. It always makes my throat burn and sometimes upsets my stomach. I guess it's worth the pain since it prevents malaria, but it's super hard on the brain/liver.

Also, last night I got home late and ended up running into one of the female student teachers from St. Denis. She asked me where PJ was and I said we had all been at E-Pub. I confessed to having a Redds and then she started judging me hard-core. (Our staff actually bought us a round which was awesome. We were watching the Olympics.) She accused me of drinking a lot, and acted as though I had done something extremely scandalous. I learned my lesson and will never admit to drinking anything again. Or admit to going to a bar for that matter. One Redds is basically like a spiked soda, but it didn't matter.

The power was off last night but is on tonight (AMEN!). I had potatoes and rice tonight, along with something very chewy in meat form. At CCT I did have some pretty amazing chicken, though, so I did get some good protein today. I'm not sure how much meat I will be eating once I'm at site. Life without electricity/refrigeration is going to be very different!

No comments:

Post a Comment