Saturday, August 18, 2012

August 18, In LUSH-OTO

Yesterday was a good day. I talked a lot with my mkuu about the differences between TZ and America. She had interesting questions, like if we have still born babies, if I knew about Muslim customs, what foods I could cook that were "American", how long maternity leave is, how the US school system works etc. She also fed me vitumbua and I actually kept them down! I feel sick when I eat but I have been able to keep down food, so I hope that I'm getting over whatever it is that's bothering me.

I really like my mkuu. She's a very nice lady. She understands I need to have help, but also independence. She also has grown much more sympathetic to my need to set up my house (Originally she wanted me to start teaching this Monday, but now she is giving me more free time.) I think it's going to be a very healthy working and personal relationship, which is nice.

I did get a bit lonely at site. My phone also died, and I couldn't charge anything because it was too overcast. May be a problem in the future. I had no solar light, but my headlamp did the trick. BEST INVESTMENT by far.

I will be doing shopping here/going on a quick rainforest trip. VERY EXCITING. I also am going to finish setting up my bank account and get some money out so I can have furniture made for my house. I can't get back to my village until Wednesday because the buses are going to be too hectic to transport all the stuff I plan on buying. The moon celebration for Ramadan is coming right up, and all the men who live in cities are going back to their villages to see their wives and celebrate. My mkuu told me to come back Wednesday, and I'm happy to spend some time with my fellow PCVs and use the internet. I'm sure I will post again later since today is a pretty lazy day.

It's so green here! And chilly! I got cold last night. Very glad I brought a fleece, although I really need to invest in a big, warm blanket. I'm staying in a pretty nice hostel, too! Living it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment