Friday, August 31, 2012

August 31, Shortages


So, it’s only 10:00 in the morning, so not much has happened yet. Siwema and a number of other students stopped by multiple times this morning. They were perplexed by the towel I had wrapped around my hair and thought it was some kind of fashion statement. I explained that I wrap a towel around my head when my hair is wet. They told me they want to “style me” with a hijab-style hair-wrap, so maybe I’ll go to the village center later to see if they can find me a nice head scarf. I also had to explain to my students that it was not okay my students to sleep over at my house. Interesting issue to have…

I went over to my mkuu’s house for breakfast, but there were no vitumbua being sold in town today, so I had hard-boiled eggs instead. I really love vitumbua, but I was kind of glad not to eat them this morning. They are super greasy and I assume super fattening, so I don’t really want to be in the habit of eating them all the time.

I asked where I should burn my trash (which took me a while to explain, even when I used the word “rubbish”) and my mkuu said she would show me later on today. It’s very hot in the sun right now, although I got very cold last night. I have been sleeping with multiple layers because my blanket isn’t very warm. I think I will ask the people at Tumaini Hostel where they get their fleecy blankets of love from…so dreamy.  I want one.

I was also shown the classroom where I can set up my library, in addition to some of the unfinished/unused classrooms on the school-grounds. Two of them would make great laboratory and library spaces, but they aren’t completed structurally, so I guess that idea is out the window.  I also asked if Emmanuel was going to be replaced, and she said maybe by next year we’ll have another teacher, but that she has no control over that. For now, it’s just going to be three (including me) full-time teachers. The “storekeeper” has also been transferred to a new school, so she was telling me it’s going to be difficult to get food supplies (i.e. huge bags of rice and beans) here for lunch. I met the cook yesterday, actually, but I guess he isn’t in charge of getting the food to the school. I was kind of looking forward to the free lunchtime meals every day, but I may end up having to fend for myself. I’m okay with that since I’m currently being given a surplus of food all the time, and wouldn’t mind cutting back a bit. But, it is going to be a problem for my students.
Anyway, my school is basically going to be lacking in teachers, administrative staff, funding, supplies, books, resources, and food at least until January. I also am not really sure who my counterpart will be. I guess Martius since he lives on the other side of my duplex. I literally never see JB (the Civics/Geography guy) anywhere around, so I’m not sure how easy it would be to work with him. Martius has been gone this entire time, though, so technically I haven’t seen either of them this week.

I also found out there may be no bus to town tomorrow morning, so I’m currently in a pickle trying to figure out how to get to Lushoto. I need to get my books from Glenn/to go to the bank to get my banking card/to buy some more supplies for my house. Really it would be a pain to have to go there on Sunday or Monday instead, but that may happen unless I walk out or find an alternative method of transportation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment