Monday, August 6, 2012

August 7, Late Night Blog

I bought the 500 shilling day bundle (Airtel figured out the glitch with the hourly internet bundle...there goes my 200 shilling internet), so I'm trying to use up lots of computer time. I'm probably exaggerating in my head how little I will be able to use my computer at site, but for now it feels like this is the last week I will be able to do anything easily for a while. There are places to charge things in my village via solar power/I will be going as much as possible to Lushoto on weekends, but I still will be living in the dark for two years unless I get solar power installed. I asked Glenn to look into the price...I will probably wait a couple months, but it seems like a solid investment. If it's too pricey I will wait the year and get a grant to pay for it.

 I can't wait to get more of those cheap, delicious chipsi in Lushoto. I really love my group, too, so I'm PUMPED about being in Tanga. Can't wait to set up my house! I've been planning in my mind already. Need to get a bed made, buy a mattress, have shelving/cupboards put in, make my bunk-bed into a couch/storage thing, figure out how I'm going to store my clothes, buy things to cook with, get more solar lighting/kerosene lanterns....so much! But I'm excited! I also need decorations and curtains...I'm going to go broke.

My host family had our courtyard covered in sunflowers. They beat out the seeds with a stick and collect them to make sunflower seed oil. Pretty sweet!

Tonight I faced extra harassment on the way home. Sometimes I just hate being so noticeable/laughed at/mocked/talked to. They mean well I think, but it can be hard sometimes to be cordial. Fortunately I am usually able to give children the benefit of the doubt, so I'm assuming they are just having fun and never intentionally being rude or disrespectful.

My host family made me cabbage tonight (a whole pot just for me!), and I had some more rice and beans. My host mama and sister sang the anthem with me when I told them I had worked on it at CCT today. In other news, my half-cold seems to be worsening. I can't stop coughing. I'm not sure if I'm sick/allergic to something/being poisoned by my bug-killing spray.

No comments:

Post a Comment