Monday, August 27, 2012

August 27, Rootless Tree

Wonders never cease!!! I am blogging via kindle. Not sure if this will ever happen again but I am very excited about it.

Hannah left early this morning.. I walked her to the bus stop. It was dead on my way back and slightly creepy. It was also a bit chilly...it gets quite cool here. I wore two sweatshirts today. I really wish I had slippers  or a nice warm fleece blanket.

I set up some stuff in my house today, like my clothes lines and nails that will serve for hanging clothing off doors. I also got in touch with Emmanuel and he told me he would look into a bedframe that has already been made. The fundi is out of town I guess. I wonder if it is the same one who has left my kitchen in disrepair. I wish they would just finish my ceiling so I could unpack things. I also really want my own jiko to cook on. Right now I am relying on the kindness of my mkuu's nieces. They heat my water and let me eat with them,though the abudant hospitality sometimes is hard to refuse. Today I ate a number of mysterious organs without actually ever putting any on my plate. At lunch I was able to ditch a lung without being noticed (when I was left alone to eat for a minute.) I tried being polite at dinner but they insisted.  I loaded up on spinach and ate all the meat they gave me to avoid being rude. Organs twice in one day was a first for me, though. I had fun joking around with the girls and met some students and volunteer teachers. Everyone here is very nice. The census is going on so people are at my school. Lots of people like to peer through my unfinished gate door. I think a cow stood out behind the fence for quite a while today I heard excessive mooing. Loud mooing.

I managed to also do some solar charging today before it was overcast again. I studied a little Swahili and talked on the phone. I have been pretty bummed out but it was nice to talk to people at least. I also think I am going to paint my walls and ceiling. I might do a mural scene or something. Amy also told me that her village is like an hour walk away. I hope that is true!!! Being here is the most undewhelming overwhelming experience at times. But I do have to say I have a great support network and the people here are so welcoming. I enjoy being able to make them laugh. I just hope it will be a little easier to stay positive. On the bright side I haven't puked in two days. That was hard for me today but i managed to do okay and keep stuff down. Livers and all!

No comments:

Post a Comment