Tuesday, August 28, 2012

August 28, The kids think I am Michelle

I am about to kill my kindle battery. I am trying to charge it but it is a bit too overcast. I am not quite sure what to do today. No teachers are around and I am feeling a bit nervous about trying to bargain alone. I guess I should get over that and force myself to go into my village alone, but it is hard since I am shy by nature. My mkuu told me I would have to pay thee times the amount if I went alone for the first time, and I am having a hard time getting that nervous feeling out of my head. I am hoping Emmanuel will help me this afternoon. I want him to be my counterpart, but he is usually hard to find.

I washed my bag and shoes that got wet and gross thanks to our journey in the rain. I decided I would utilize the hot water they gave me since I don't really need to bathe twice daily.

I went over to see Papa and Susan for a bit. Papa was playing with a wooden block with a nail in it and pretending it was a car or bus. Susan and Samau (Or something like that? One of the nieces, but they only said her name once and I have a bad memory.) made him a crown out of some old curly piece of tubing. The kids here make toys out of bottles, caps, and trash they find. They are extremely creative, but I do wish I could give Papa some puzzles or something. Maybe I will make him something and use my creativity , too.

A giant group of children were running up and down the hill to fetch water while I was watching my neighbors play. They kept calling me the word for uncooked rice "mchele" and I had no idea why. Then I realized that they think I am the former health volunteer who was here. She had to leave after four months of service, but I think they assume I am her because I am white. Anyway, her name was Michelle, and that explains the uncooked rice chanting.

For now I think I will study some Swahili and contemplate mural scenes. I had nightmares again from the mefloquin, but I am feeling a little better about things. Pole pole kama kobe (Slowly like a turtle). I have been getting a lot of support from people and that really helps. My students also stop by to say hello a lot. It is nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment