Wednesday, October 17, 2012

October 17, Uh Oh Speaker....

I had a pretty good day today. My lesson went really well (Boys vs Girls board race worked!) and I managed to spend my morning alone. The other PCMO, Dr. Sulemanji, called to check-in and actually seems interested in helping me! I am going to Dar on Sunday so I can run some tests on Monday. I have been on my diet for three weeks with very marginal improvement, so I am glad I will get checked out. My package should arrive soon, which is what I am banking on to recover, but it can't hurt to make sure everything else is okay. I am worried about my kidneys....I dunno. It will be nice to just make sure I am fully away of everything happening with my body. I have been sick for a very long time now, so it couldn't hurt to make sure I am not anemic or something by now. And my package is in Tanzania so I hope to get it by Friday!!!!!!!!

I cleaned and cooked, then burnt my trash. Then when I was washing out my trash bin, my  phone fell into the water. I removed the battery quickly, but I fear the speaker may be a goner. I am bummed. But hopeful it will revive itself....

I need to write two exams by tomorrow. My head has been killing me, but it must be done. Overall I feel more positive mentally today. When I went to town to get eggs, the local kids all said my name aside from two who shouted "mzungu". I bought candy to give to the three highest test scorers and gave Saumu a lollypop. I felt bad giving Kibena candy yesterday since Saumu seemed a bit jealous. (My mkuu said I am like a mother because I "recognized the importance of Kibena's accomplishment: finishing the NECTA." Nevermind that she is 21 years old and I am only 22. I thought it was sweet and I am glad she appreciated the gesture, albiet small.)

I also have been thinking next year I want to start an English and Creative Arts club. I might also do a writing project with the primary school. Or art workshops. Or English tutoring. I have been flipflopping lately in my long term goals, but I do miss working with younger kids. Right now I am thinking it would be nice to channel these kids' creativity into something meaningul to them. I have ideas...And I will keep everyone posted if such a thing happens. All I know is that my Form One kids LOVE to draw, but have no real resources to explore that part of their brains.  Something will come to fruition...I hope.

1 comment:

  1. The students must really like your treats :-)
    Good luck on your trip to Dar.

    ReplyDelete