Sunday, October 7, 2012

October 7, Waves of Optimism

So, today we got up early to come to town and go to the market. It was an extremely uncomfortable ride down from Ezra's house, but we did get into Lusho in time to tranquilly get breakfast and then make food purchases. I got some sweet potatoes, zucchini, carrots, a small bucket, a salt shaker, and a big water tub. I am also now the proud owner of some new books (including Goodnight Moon--great children's story!), an awesome blanket, and a pepper grinder thanks to Ezra. I plan to nab a pillow and  spice rack in the upcoming future as well....

I'm becoming known around the standi in Lushoto--people recognize I'm the white girl who always goes to Mlola. (And think maybe Amy is going there, too, since they ask her as well.) I got on the bus early today, though it still departed late. I did get a good seat, though! Plus, I started feeling really motivated on my way back to site. I was excited to come home rather than stressed out, even though I plan to stay for two full weeks in my village. I made friends with a mama on the bus by letting her put her bags on my lap so her two small children could sit on her lap for the two hour trip. I also met a nurse who works in the clinic in town, and she was happy to meet me. I got pumped-up about my library project, teaching, making my house MY house, and learning the language slowly. In sum, I just really felt EXCITED.

In the past week I've really started WANTING to be here for the full two years. As many of you know, the first couple weeks I spent at site were very hard for me. I've been adjusting in a lot of ways, dealing with a number of problems, and battling some serious homesickness and comfort-cravings. It's been a challenge to truly feel like I can make it such a long time here, but recently I've been more charged-up about my ability to make an impact in my community, settle-in here, and have fun on a regular basis. (As in, fun at site, not just in Lushoto or Tanga.)

At the same time, I'm also dealing with a fairly big health issue right now, which is weighing on the other side of my brain. I want to make decisions that are best for my body and actually get healthy. I'm keeping in good touch with my doctor back home, and I'm also going to have a long chat with Makwabe on Wednesday (two week mark on the anti-inflammation diet). I have a strong theory about what is going on with my body thanks to my American doctor, in addition to a solution of how to make things better over the course of the next three months. The problem is the waiting game. I'm waiting for my probiotic supplements and protein powder to come in the mail. I'm waiting for my body to respond to the dietary changes I'm making. I'm basically waiting to be well, though it's becoming a long, arduous journey. I know that I will be okay eventually, and I'm being as cautious as possible with my food and water preparation, but it is a challenge right now.

Anyway, when I got back to site I had literally only 1/2 liter of water left in all of my buckets, even though I requested that they be re-filled. I also had to pay to have someone help me carry things back, even though I originally thought the guy was just doing me a favor. I did clean and unpack, which felt good. While cleaning, I noticed one of my tomatoes had a bite taken out of it--I suspect Mr. Mouse came visiting while I was away. I need to find how he's entering my house so I can block the entrance. Or just get a cat...

...I'm probably going to get a cat. ASAP.

Also, I think I'm going to patch my cement walls so I can actually paint them. I think about it constantly, so eventually it's just going to have to happen. Maybe once I get a good paint roller and have a little more energy!

1 comment: