Tuesday, October 30, 2012

October 30, Laying Around

Today I did a little bit of laundry since I was running low on certain items. I originally only packed for a week of travel, so being gone for two weeks is a bit more of a stretch. I'm still not feeling well enough  to do much of anything, so I've been laying on Glenn's couch. Lately my nausea has been pretty intense, so even sitting is usually overly unpleasant. To resolve this, I am switching protein powder types and continuing my probiotics--I hope that helps things improve. My body isn't happy with me at all, but I really am hoping things change over the next two weeks. Being sick for months is pretty frustrating, but I'm hoping there is light at the end of the tunnel.

The medical office (OMS) in Washington, DC is okay with me continuing service for now, but will medically separate me if I don't get better. I'm really happy I'm getting the chance to resolve my health issues! I was worried they might freak-out about the fainting spell I had and cut my service short, but for now I'm still being given leeway. I'm very thankful for that.

So far there's no timeline on when I need to get better by, nor what "better" really means. Dr. Makwabe also doesn't really seem to be sure what will qualify me as too unhealthy to serve, so I guess I just need to focus on getting better for now, and worry about medical separation should I get to that point. It's just hard not to wonder what would lead them to pull the plug. I suspect it has to do with weight, but I'm not sure.

These next couple of weeks are going to be an interesting sort of limbo-land, but I'm trying to enjoy myself as much as possible.  It's great to see Glenn and Hannah, and I also think being back in Dar next weekend will be nice. Leah's house is ridiculously nice, and I enjoy being in an urban environment. Electricity is fun! Although, it's funny to me that it's such a big deal to lose power in the US for a couple hours. I lived in a site with NO electricity to be found. People here do it their entire lives. Even when I am in Lushoto, my banking town, our power cuts out all the time. Last night it went out for a number of hours, though it's back today. People in the US don't know how good they have it. If there's one thing I've learned, it's to appreciate what you have---especially the simple things. I also now recognize a lot of conveniences as superfluous, but I will admit that luxuries like western toilets and hot showers are very nice to have. When I do wind up back in the States, doing laundry in a machine is going to be awesome, but I don't mind doing it by hand, either. Having a fridge will be great, but I also know how to cook single serve meals. It's all in how you look at things.

Nonetheless, not having a site/having health issues does make things feel weird right now. My mind has a lot of down time and room to wander. But I try to keep myself from indulging negative or worrisome thinking, and instead think about the good things in my life. I have good friends, family, and staff behind me. For now I'm still keeping my optimism up! I can get through this! As my mom's friend Sarah said, I am "Super Jedi"!

No comments:

Post a Comment