Wednesday, October 24, 2012

October 24, Mlola will no longer be "Home"

Today I woke up and had a nice chat with Jarrett, the South African who is staying in Leah's house (my ex-pat) until December. He is a visiting artist who works with her. The house is decorated with a lot of cool ocean-prints and portraits, so she seems to be a good artist on top of being a diplomat. I also met a friend of hers who does projects out in Lushoto--good contact to make! I just got back to her house now--it's about 7:30 pm. I had a really hard time finding the place in the dark. I took a bajaj (three-wheeled motorcycle taxi of sorts) and he looped around a couple times before we identified the correct house. It's hard to tell what's what in this neighborhood because everything is fenced in with security guards, but I actually did remember the right house! I just wasn't positive I remembered right...I guess I just need to trust my instincts!

I spent most of the day with some of the other COS'ers at an RPCV's house. He had a HUGE TV, mini-gym, AC, fridge, and so on. Colin and Mike (the two people I spent most of the day with) played a lot of video games. Super safi house! Being an ex-pat really means you get to live in style. In any case, I enjoyed myself this afternoon. Socially anyway. I've given up on my body making things easy. I also did a little bit of shopping--RETAIL THERAPY!

By the way, RPCV's are Returned Peace Corps Volunteers--so basically everyone here this week will be getting that title at one point or another.

Anyway, they still haven't been able to find the medicine I need for my ear in any of the pharmacies around here. I'm hoping tomorrow they'll have it in the office for me since I spent half the day with my ear feeling like it was underwater. The tube isn't working correctly, so my hearing has been cut in half on the right side, and sometimes it feels like I'm on an airplane or in a swimming pool. Other times I just don't hear properly.

Anyway, bigger news:

I found out that the two other teachers in Mlola have left my school as they don't feel safe. The police don't seem to be doing much, and my site will no longer be my site. I'm happy in the sense that I don't want to go back to an unsafe place, but I'm pretty bummed out that things didn't work out there. I love my mkuu and her nieces, I was finally getting established in the town, and I was SUPER excited about my library project. I've been putting a lot of time into my house, and I've spent money on furniture, in addition to building a strong rapport with many of my students. I also love being near Lushoto, and I really don't want to change banking towns or be far away from my Lusho-crew. Hopefully I'll find out soon where I'll be staying and for how long. The issue is that I may be medically separated, so they aren't going to find a site for me until I am medically cleared. Unfortunately, my package still hasn't arrived, so I'm kind of waiting idly for my protein powder and probiotic supplements. I'm not sure how much time I have to get better, nor whether I'll be in Dar or staying with another volunteer, so I'm very much in limbo-land. Despite this, I feel pretty good about things. I had a lot of fun today, and I'm trying to see this week as a kind of mini-vacation. It's nice not to have to work while feeling sick, and I'm enjoying my time here despite all the tumultuous stuff that's happening. I'm staying as positive as I can. I think I have a good chance of sticking through things and making it all two years, but I also know I have a good chance of being sent back home. Really I'm not sure which is more likely yet....I'm trying not to speculate for now, and instead focusing on enjoying my time here while it lasts, but it is a pretty serious spot to be stuck in....

I must say it does feel like the Tanga curse is taking hold again. I can feel the ice getting thinner below my feet. I am glad that the staff are very kind and helpful, though. I can tell they really do care, and that's nice. On the other hand, it is hard to be in such a weird place right now. I'm just trying to roll with it, but it's especially difficult since I'm also dealing with the fact that my bf and my friend Brittany won't be coming back to TZ. The Lushoto team is dwindling fast it seems--especially since Ezra is COS'ing next week. (CONGRATS TO A SURVIVOR OF THE TANGA REGION!) But hopefully things will pan out in the end--one way or another. Maybe I'll get healthy and be put in a nice, new site that's close to lot's of good food I can eat! That would be ideal. But I'm also acceptant of the fact that if my body doesn't start getting better, it is important for me to go back to the states and get help. I'm trying not to panic or freak out, and I'm staying level-headed for now. Hopefully I'll be able to keep up the positivity--so wish me well I guess?

I honestly would just like to be healthy. Being sick is exhausting. And dehydration and poor nutrition are definitely taking a toll on me. It's hard to refuse food from the host country nationals, and it's also unfortunate that I can't really eat out and celebrate COSing with the other PCVs while here in Dar. Food is a big deal socially! And it is nice to go out with everyone, but it does suck I can't order along with them.

In short, I really like being in Tanzania, and I want to volunteer all 24 months. I think I'm good at lesson planning and I'm getting better at teaching. I think my Swahili will improve, and I'm getting more comfortable socializing and dealing with feelings of personal space invasion. I guess it all depends on how quickly my body improves, though. My health will determine if I'm able to keep volunteering here realistically. I know there's no point in being in TZ if I'm deteriorating into a stick figure, so the question really is: Will I get better here, and how long will it take?

Also...how long will the PC give me?


No comments:

Post a Comment