Friday, October 5, 2012

October 5, Five Little Monkeys

I wrote a blog post for yesterday, but it seems to have disappeared. Strange...

So, today no teachers were at the school at all, so I randomly taught my Form I's two "Five Little Monkeys" songs. They particularly  loved my "snapping" and use of hand gestures in both songs. They quite enjoy singing and dancing, which is really fun. I hope to teach lot's of kids songs! Suggestions welcome!

I did chores this morning and graded some papers. They did better this round!! A bunch of my female students pestered me all day long about letting them help me clean, so eventually  I broke down and let them wash my floor and do a couple dishes. I feel really bad having them do stuff like that, but they were getting fairly upset at me for saying no. I think about 10 of them hung around my house for about an hour this afternoon. They are a fun group and joke around a lot, although I do feel very awkward having them critique how I cook, hang my clothes, etc. In Tanzania, there is only one way of doing things: their way. My use of liquid dish soap was also baffling to them. Many joked that it was juice.

This afternoon Kibena took me to the butcher, but I didn't really trust the (expensive) meat I got. I gave most of it to Saumu, along with most of a cabbage, and then decided not to eat the pieces I kept. Something just didn't seem right about it smell-wise, and I don't want to risk food poisoning when my health is already fairly compromised!

No comments:

Post a Comment