Sunday, October 21, 2012

October 21, One Month Until My Birthday

Today I was feeling very inspired on my bus ride to Dar. I'm going to beat this sickness! I have to! And I'm going to travel and see awesome things, be a great volunteer, and study for the GRE in my spare time. And make my house awesome.

Woot!

Anyway, despite my burst of optimism and inspiration, the ride to Dar was fairly unpleasant. I was sandwiched between a girl who threw up the entire way there (who also had 3 chickens in tow that alternated between flipping out and sleeping) and a family with a 3-month old that definitely soiled its diaper about 2 hours into the 8 hour journey. My back was also terribly uncomfortable from the angle of the seats, and I felt sick on top of my usual car sickness, so I was glad to arrive in Dar after sitting all that time!

I took a taxi to the hotel and got a room here, then met up with a bunch of the kids who are COS'ing. We watched a little Tv and then we all went out for dinner. They got HUGE burgers at this fast-food joint here in the city. I was a bit envious. I normally can't have burgers like that, though, so I guess it'd be about the same even if I was healthy and able to eat much right now. On my best day I have no bun, no cheese, no mayo, no fun.

On our way back to the Econolodge we saw a car get hijacked! I've never seen grand theft auto live-in-action before. A crowd chased after the speeding vehicle, but as far as I could tell the driver managed to get away. At least for now...I'd be scared to be a thief that's caught in this country.

I'm going in to the office early tomorrow to figure out what tests they're running etc. Hopefully I get some probiotics from the office! And some answers!


No comments:

Post a Comment