Thursday, July 12, 2012

July 12, PJ ate dinner at my house

So, today I taught Form 1A and they were SO much further ahead than Form 1B. We played "smack that" (boys vs. girls relay race of sorts) and they really seemed to like it. I felt good about the lesson overall. In fact, when I had them write sentences, one girl wrote a really cool story about going to Nairobi. It was kind of fairytale like and I was very pleasantly surprised by her level of creativity! Girls typically speak up much less here, so this student is definitely exceptional.

I took my written LPI today. I know I made some mistakes but I'm not sure how many there really were. We get them back on Saturday. Tomorrow is the oral LPI--I'm nervous, but glad it will be over soon. I just want to be intermediate-mid, but I have a feeling I haven't reached that level. I did a lot of flashcards today, though, so I am working on it!

PJ came over for dinner at my house tonight. He is going around to all the houses in our CBT group. (PJ is my Swahili teacher.) It was nice to talk in Kiswahili and English. I got most of the Kiswahili conversations which made me feel good. He asked why we were laughing in class so much today. It was just a pretty hilarious day. At one point we were doing flashcards and PJ held up a card of someone pooping into a pit latrine. Aly asked what "shit" was in Swahili, and PJ responded "Look in your dick!" He meant dictionary, but it still made everyone bust out laughing. There were several other hilarious things (we talked about health and body today, which leant itself to a lot of joking), but they were probably moments that aren't funny out of context.

Today the electricity was out from 6 am to 6 pm. Now it's back on. For a while my computer charger stopped working and I got really worried, but it seemed to work a 1/2 hour ago.

Hoping to receive some mail/email/news from home soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment