Thursday, July 12, 2012

July 13, Friday the 13th

Will it be my lucky day?

I'm thinking maybe it will be my unlucky day because since 5:30 someone in my house has been hitting the snooze on their laughing baby alarm. It's gone off multiple times and takes a couple minutes of hee-hee-haw-haw-haw-haw-heeing before they will shut it off. Driving me a little bonkers. There is always an amazing amount of noise at night. Last night music was blaring from the voucher stand and some car was going around with a megaphone announcing stuff at like 11:00 pm. (There is a phone voucher stand right in front of my house--super convenient!)

Today we will be having our exams in the morning, then we have the option of participating in a staff football game (soccer). There is also a welcome party for all the student teachers from 6:00-8:00, but I might go out with people from the Kihonda CBT instead. I am really looking forward to the weekend!

My internet was going beyond slow this morning, but seems to be working a bit better now. Unfortunately I have to actually get up soon and take my bucket bath. I hope the water is good and hot.  A lot of the time it's luke-warm at best, and that just makes me cringe when I have to dump it over my head. It gets very chilly at night here, so taking a cold bath at 6:30 is royally unpleasant.

I really need to buy a watch. None of the classrooms have clocks, and I don't really want to use my cell-phone while teaching. There is also a never-ending shortage of chalk and erasers. Yesterday I forgot to bring my own chalk, so a student went and rounded some up for me. We use a sponge as an eraser in Form 1A, but it actually works better than the real erasers given to us by Peace Corps. It's like a big loofa-like sponge, and it does a pretty good job. I'm still adjusting to writing up on the board. I have to monitor myself because I don't write uniformly. I change my A's and write certain letters in CAPS, but I have done fine so far in terms of keeping things uniform. Maybe this will transform my writing sloppiness! Most kids don't have a book, so what you write is what they have to learn from. No pressure or anything, right?


No comments:

Post a Comment