Thursday, July 5, 2012

July 5, Home Before Dark


So, last night I went out with my fellow Peace Corps people to celebrate the fourth of July. I bought some fabric to make a dress with, but Katie couldn’t find her mom’s shop in the market, so I need to go back tomorrow or next week. We also got some Smirnoff for this weekend’s safari adventure. It wasn’t too bad in price—15,000 shillings for a bottle. Then we went out to a couple different bars. It was fun to hangout. I got home at 9:00 and had some dinner. There were a lot of young kids I had never seen before.  A couple of those kids were also here tonight, and I think one or more of them is staying here. I’m not completely clear how they are related/connected to my host family, though.  Such things often aren’t very clear in TZ.

I got home early today so I did dishes with one of the wee ones. Her name is Irene (said with Swahili pronunciation) and I’m guessing she is around three-years-old. When I was in my room earlier Priska came in and brought Irene with her.  Jackie and another girl also came in after that. They enjoyed having photos taken, though watching Irene continually keep trying to grab my camera and use it was fairly stressful. Then my camera died, and the fun died with it. Oops.

Today we had a pretty serious discussion about post-colonial literature and the implications of being a white teacher in Africa. I will write more about that as it becomes relevant to me. (Big discussion about what level English we teach, and why we teach forms 1 &2)

This weekend we are going on Safari!! I am very excited!!! ELEPHANTS!! TEMBO!

No comments:

Post a Comment