Wednesday, July 25, 2012

July 25, Weirdness

So, today I was surprise-observed. I wasn't supposed to be observed until tomorrow, but I found out as I was going to class. Anna totally caught on to the fact that I didn't have a lesson-plan sheet filled out. I tend to write out my lesson plan in full in my notebook, but I find the one-sided, tiny-boxed, dinky little sheets they give us to be relatively futile since I have to write out a larger plan for myself anyway. Regardless, I have it filled out and will be turning that in on Friday.

I finally have learned 90% of the noun-agreement chart. I HATE NOUN CLASSES. Swahili is a very simplistic language in a lot of ways. For instance, adjectives hardly exist. Good, beautiful, cute, and nice are all just "zuri". Tall and long are both "refu". Yet, there are multiple ways to say "this" "that" "these" "those" etc. thanks to noun classes. Basically, everything sounds like a Dr. Seuss book because nouns agree with their adjectives, possessives etc.

For example:

Hawa ni mbwa wangu watatu wazuri wasafi. = These are my three nice, clean dogs.
Hiki ni kiti changu kizuri kikubwa ambacho nilinunua. = This is my nice big chair that I bought.
Hivi ni viti vyangu vizuri vikubwa ambavyo nilinunua. = These are my nice big chairs that I bought.

In anycase, on my way home from school some students offered me a sunflower in a very strange manner. They also touched my hair and offered to carry my books. And shouted "madam" at me a bunch of times to get my attention. It was odd.

I did manage to have an actual conversation with my host mama when I got home! We talked about my exam/where I'm going next week. She wanted to know where I'll be staying...I'd like to know as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment