Sunday, July 15, 2012

July 15, Ready for Site Placement

So today was another good day. I did laundry, which was frankly exhausting. My arms are still sore. It took me forever even though one of the house dadas started helping me about half-way through. I had a lot of clothing to get through because I had no time to do laundry last weekend. So much work! I really admire these girls--they seem to do it so seamlessly. I'm still pretty bad at doing it quickly or with any style. No children crowded around to watch today, but one guy did come over and sit with me for a while. He was nice so I didn't mind. He asked me questions about what I knew how to do and laughed when I said I could ride a bike and drive a car. People seem to be incredulous whenever I say I can do basic things, which kind of undermines my confidence, but it doesn't bother me too much.

I also swept, mopped (by which I mean dragged a wet rag around my floor by hand), and organized my room. Additionally, I sprayed some of the anti-bug spray around the corners of my room. Pretty sure I saw a lot of things running when I did it...hopefully they are dead now.

I also went to town with Sam today and met up with Katie after a couple hours. I think I'm going to look at their Vermont photos so I know who they are talking about when they discuss St.Mike's. We also ran into other PCT people while in town, which was nice. I had chipsi mayai with toppings (onions, jalepeno peppers, ketchup etc.) which was pretty awesome.The internet didn't work at Oasis, however, so no skyping was possible.... sadly.

I think I accidentally gave a teenage girl a death stare today. She called me "mzungu" in a really condescending voice and I raised my eyebrows at her in disgust before really realizing it. Sometimes I miss blending in...it'd just be nice to be able to walk without getting a ton of attention from everybody. I responded nicely to everyone else I met, and greeted lot's of people before they said anything to me, so it wasn't like I was being anti-social today. Sometimes I just hate feeling like people are mocking me, especially people who are younger than me, and she definitely got a glare that expressed that sentiment.

I got some dates today at the grocery store. So good. I think there might be an increase of them because Ramadan is coming up, but I'm not sure. I shared them with Katie and Sam. The other PC people are daters (date-haters), so they didn't eat any. I did find a little worm in the bottom of the package once we had eaten about half of them. Mmmm protein.

In anycase, this week is going to be another long one. I just want to know where I'm going to be placed!!!!! Less than two weeks until I find out. Hopefully in a warm, coastal spot, but who knows!






No comments:

Post a Comment