Friday, July 6, 2012

July 6, Ana Hipsi!


So, I keep forgetting to mention that the containers they keep hot food/drinks in here are absolutely amazing. I have never seen anything keep things so incredibly hot for so long. My chai is so hot that my family has to give me an extra cup in the morning so I can pour it back and forth and cool it down. I am definitely investing in some of these thermoses once I’m at site—seriously awesome.

At the CCT today I had a cook take the second chapati I had swiped off my plate. I usually get wheat items at chai so that I can give them to other people who are hungry and want seconds. Today my plan to get two people seconds definitely crashed and burned. Lot’s of people noticed since it was a little weird that she literally took it back as I was walking to a table.

Today I also went to get my measurements taken by Katie’s host mama. We had to have her host kaka show us where to go because we couldn’t find her shop when we went before (it’s in the market, but we didn’t see it before.) Anna and Katie got measured first since they are getting matching skirts. I am getting a dress so they started by measuring my torso, which went on with them just saying how many inches each part of me was. It was really funny because when she went to measure my hips, she was very surprised to find out I really have them. In fact, the lady measuring me said to Katie’s mom “ANA HIPSI!!!” (SHE HAS HIPS!)…and then she just kept saying that over and over. They were pretty excited to see a white girl with a booty. I don’t think they’ve seen such a curvy-bottomed Mzungu before.

I got some laundry soap (bar form, though there is also powder detergent) and dried pineapple at the grocery store. For the safari we got some cashews, dried mango, potato chips, alcohol, fruit juice, and bananas. Going wild! I’m super exhausted tonight so I’m going to sleep like a rock. My CBT and two others are getting VIP treatment and getting picked up via van tomorrow at 7:20 a.m. It would take us 1 ½ hours to make it otherwise, so apparently they are taking pity on us and providing a driver. I feel bad because the Kihonda CBT is pretty much the same distance away from our meeting spot, but they are getting shafted and being forced to get a daladala at 6:30 a.m….

I think I’m going to start speaking in a really low voice when people say things in English in a squeaky voice. Or at least think in a low voice in my head. In other news, I got a picture of our cat today. It was first manhandled, however, which they seem to be pretty used to. The kitten is still pretty brave and tried to get the fish I had for dinner. Sneaky. 

Also, found out Irene is our niece. Or I think that is what they said.

Usiku mwema!

No comments:

Post a Comment