Tuesday, July 24, 2012

July 24, Lack of Teaching Inspiration

This week is a hard week. We have our final written exam Friday, which is the same day we find out our site placements. We also still have to teach this week. I am seriously lacking in inspiration right now--I'm going to teach the future tense, but I just feel like even the games I come up with are boring. Hopefully it's just a sentiment, but I'm feeling largely uninspired by my internship right now.

My host mama knew where I walked/with who today. She asked me what I was doing once she got home. (She came home after me--not sure when she saw me) I told her that I enjoy walking. As a CBT we went on a journey to get cookies, so I guess we were noticeable as a pack of wazungu.

Some weird/interesting* things that have happened lately:

1) A male student stopped in his tracks as he was walking and while looking at me, but not necessarily talking to me, said "God forgive me, for I have sinned." Speculate as you like.
2) My feet have been itching like crazy, even though I don't have any new bug bites. I'm wondering if I got into something when walking that irritated my skin?
3) Michelle has a rooster at her house that I like to call Foghorn Leghorn. He is the living incarnation of the cartoon. She also has an attention-starved cat that she gives love to. It rubbed itself against my legs quite a bit this afternoon.
4) PJ keeps yelling at us for not socializing enough with the other student teachers. We will no longer be at St.Denis as of Thursday, so this issue should naturally resolve itself then.
5) Passion-fruit juice is pretty amazing.
6) PJ calls condoms "Survival Jackets." I think it's hilarious and now have adopted the phrase.
7) PJ also uses the word "hammering" to describe drinking & sex. This is also hilarious.
8) Today a grasshopper literally flew into PJ's hand when he was going over directions with me. It was a shame it wasn't a cricket, because Tracy spent the greater part of the afternoon copying over her Swahili version of Pinocchio. Jimminy (spelling?) apparently was underrepresented in the tale.
9) Sometimes I say the word "Kiswahili" wrong. This is majorly unfortunate. I've also noticed Tanzanians say "Tanzania" differently from one another.
10) I HAD RICE, GOAT, AND PUMPKIN LEAVES FOR DINNER. Such a nice change from the rest of the week. Beyond exciting. I also had cabbage for lunch. What a day!

No comments:

Post a Comment