Monday, September 10, 2012

September 10, TWO Infections Are Better Than One!


I am back from the hospital. They ran blood tests, and took a stool sample/did urinalysis. They (of course) tested for Malaria, in typical TZ fashion, but I tested negative as I predicted. It was long day in the doctor’s office. A lot of waiting…

Anyway, I found out I had two different kinds of infections. One of the infections went away thanks to the first two rounds of antibiotics I took this weekend, which is why some of the symptoms subsided yesterday. The other requires a different type of antibiotic to cure it, so I am on that now. I am also on two types of anti-vomiting medication and some high-dose vitamin pills to help me get over my dizziness. Not keep anything down for 72 hours really takes it out of you! I almost passed out multiple times during the day, and also lazed around/sprawled across some chairs in the doctor’s office, but felt better after keeping a banana down at around 3 pm. I’m hoping that the antibiotics will work well enough for me to eat dinner. I can feel how hungry my body is/dehydrated I’ve gotten, and I’m excited by the prospect of eggs and potatoes.

(Amanda and I joked around that I should start a wall of prescription box-"art"-deco in my house, since I seem to be going down a disease-ridden road here in TZ. Seven different medications have been prescribed to me so far, not including the malaria medication I take for preventative reasons. Sickly girl!) 

In any case, I got my ticket for Lushoto…I am leaving at 8:30 in the morning, and hopefully getting back to my village tomorrow night around 4 or 5 pm. Most PCVs started teaching today. Well, not really “teaching” in all cases… But most people at least started to learn student names, or did something at their schools. From what I’ve heard, the first month of classes during the second term is a big wash. Actually, the second term in general is kind of considered a big waste from what I can tell, but I’m excited to start working on my library once I’m back at site. AND to start getting a hang of teaching English classes! I want to feel good about those before I dive into biology or math in January! 

No comments:

Post a Comment