Monday, September 24, 2012

September 24, I Fainted in a Market

So, today I have been laying in bed for the larger part of the day. This morning we got up and had some breakfast at Tumaini. Later on I went with Sarah to the market to pick up some khanga, kitenge (cloth used to make dresses, curtains etc.), and housewares. I got some nice fabric to hang in front of my doors (very African style, plus it should make things look a little prettier in my house). I also picked up a wash basin and some kitchen items. Right around paying for a refugee bag (to carry things in) and a water scoop I started to feel extremely nauseous. I realized I was about to pass out and managed to sit down, but then tried to get up for some reason. I failed at walking, hit the wall of another duka, and blacked out. The Tanzanians were quite concerned by this whole thing, so apparently they got me a stool. Sarah told me that I sat down on it, but then face planted into the ground, getting my face and dress all dirty in the process. I regained consciousness after a little bit and talked to the doctor on the phone. Thankfully Sarah was there, so things ended up fine! In any case, I'm guessing the fainting spell has to do with being overly dehydrated. I may or may not have to go see Dr. Makwabe in Dar. I have a feeling I will just be able to go back to site tomorrow--that's my hope anyway. It all depends on whether or not my other sickness symptoms resolve themselves tonight, but I'm hoping a good night's rest and some water will do the trick.

Anyway, for now I'm enjoying the comfy blankets here at Tumaini. I'm drinking oral rehydration salts and eating a couple bananas. It's nice to have good company, and I've had some very nice Facebook chatting tonight, so I'm happy.

Hanging out with Sarah has been GREAT. It's really great to hear about Zambia and how it compares to Tanzania. It's also just nice to see a friend from home, especially someone who is so laid back and fun to be around. I also got a package today. I am SOOOOO HAPPY! I got a steripen! And a bag of gluten-free pretzels! And an oven-mit! I feel so loved. My mamma is the best. Packages are the best thing. Little pieces of home just make being here a lot easier somehow. (Hint-hint: Send me letters!)

No comments:

Post a Comment