Monday, September 3, 2012

September 3, 20 Positive Things

So, I feel like my posts have been well...slightly negative. So, I am going to list some of the things I like about being in my village/the Lushoto district:

  1. My mkuu is a very smart, strong woman. She is open and warm, but also gets stuff done. I really respect her. I also love her two nieces. They are hilarious and very hospitable. 
  2. My house is a good size--not too much to be unmanageable, but also not too small.
  3. I have an outdoor choo, therefore it doesn't smell in my house all of the time. AMEN.
  4. I can get reception in most parts of my house, and internet reception in my bedroom corner. That's awesome.
  5. All the people in my village are very excited to greet me when they see me. Children think I'm hilarious/mysterious or otherwise think I'm Michelle. But it's fun to teach them my name and hear the "Jadey Jadey" chant when I go by some of them. Slowly they'll hopefully all learn to call me "Jade" or "Jadey" instead of "Mzungu" or "Mchele"
  6. It is BEAUTIFUL here. I love the colors of the mountains. The flowering trees and cacti are incredible.
  7. This is a great hiking spot. Plenty of places to explore!
  8. I have super easy access to water most of the time. The tap is SO close to my house, plus there is a river 150 meters away. I also have easy access to food--market days on Mondays AND Thursdays. Plus, Lushoto has a bountiful amount of everything, too. 
  9. They are going to teach me to make vitumbua. I'm pumped.
  10. I am close to an AWESOME group of people. I love the support I have from my fellow PCVs.
  11. I have a toilet paper roll holder now thanks to Glenn. It's made from a wooden board and string. Works awesome. Easy to switch rolls. So cool.
  12. They are going to let me start a library here. It is going to be amazing.
  13. I'm very close to the primary school, so I hope to get involved with that school as well during my time here.
  14. My students are eager to learn and to get to know me!
  15. Lushoto is so beautiful and only two hours away. I love the chipsi-mayai there more than any other thing I've eaten in country. I could probably eat there every day if I lived in Lushoto. 
  16. Tanga is also really cool and only six hours away. HOT FIX COMING UP IN TWO WEEKS!
  17. For now, there is lot's of beautiful sun, which means I can charge things and get a slight tan. I am concerned about the rainy season, but that's not the point of this bullet. The point is there is sun power!
  18. I am going to be able to start my own garden down by the river. Go permaculture! 
  19. I now have a huge bed. And soon will have a frame of my own to go with it! 
  20. I enjoy learning a new language, even if I do suck at it most of the time. And everyone is willing to help me learn/laugh along with me when I don't know things. 

1 comment: