Sunday, September 23, 2012

September 24, Thoughts on Blogging

I have recently been contemplating whether or not I should continue this blog. My intentions behind keeping a blog are pretty simple:

1) To let friends and family know what my new life is like.
2) To keep a diary of sorts for this whole thing.
3) To let other potential PCVs know a little of the inside scoop.

I have found, however, that it is hard to honor all three objectives. I have the following issues with blogging:

1) I can never really post the whole story. I wouldn't want a negative entry to affect my relaionships here if someone from my village read my posts. I also don't want to get in trouble with Peace Corps. And it's hard to express the positive things in a way readers can actually understand since usually the up-moments are very simple.
2) I don't have the internet time or speed to tell the whole story anyway. This also leads to spelling errors etc.
3) In allowing everyone to read my blog, certain people don'tknow me well enough to know my sense of humor. I have a good head on my shoulders and I am precautious as a rule. Nonetheless, blogging about my interactions here has been leading to worry and some concerned criticism. This is hard to deal with because I want to include the funny or sketchy things, but I don't want people to assume I am putting myself in danger. Dealing with men here is difficult, but I try to find the humor in the ridiculousness that ensues sometimes.
4) I appreciate people being concerned about my health, but I don't like making people worry. I have had stomach problems for years, and from working with kids I am used to getting sick. Peace Corps will take care of me, and I also plan to put my foot down and enforce my new diet.
5) Subjectivity is hard. I write opinions and not hard facts.

Anyway, I do think I will blog despite the issues. I like to write and keep people involved and informed. For now I am off to breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment