Saturday, September 15, 2012

September 15, TANGA TOWN

I'm going to keep this short since I have been up for about 22 hours now, and I'm getting tired. But the speedy internet and electricity are mighty exciting, so I'll give a quick Tanga update. I also have a bunch of photos to post, but that may be a project for tomorrow morning.

I am here in Tanga for our Super-Regional Conference/Malaria training. We will spend three days on malaria training, and two days on teacher training/presentations from volunteers. I'm very excited to see everyone and meet the other Tanga/Pemba/Moshi volunteers.

I left my village at 4:30 this morning. I was supposed to be walked by someone since it's not considered safe for me to walk by myself into the village center that early in the morning, but the watchman didn't end up coming, and Emmanuel didn't wake up, so I walked alone. I ended up spooking myself on my way to the bus, and shouted "HABARI" at a stump. I felt pretty ridiculous, but I have a pretty vivid imagination, and it was pitch black, so I couldn't see very well even with a flashlight. Plus, that stump was probably more scared than I was once I yelled at it so abruptly. Once I got to the bus, no one was around except one man smoking a cigarette. I exchanged about five greetings with him, but it was only once I pulled out my phone to check the time that he realized I was white. Apparently my accent is good enough to pass for an African one in the right circumstances, at least! His tone completely changed once he realized that I was the mzungu-teacher. It was pretty funny, actually. He told me to go rest on the bus, and it was only once I stumbled onto the dark bus that I realized it was pretty much packed full of people. They were all just quietly sitting there in the dark. It was a pretty strange morning.

Once in Lushoto I grabbed some breakfast at Tumaini. I met a man from Kenya who complimented my Swahili and my effort to integrate into the local culture. At around 8:00 a.m I left for Tanga. I arrived in about 4 1/2 hours, which wasn't bad really. The travel time can vary from a mere 3 hours to a dreary 6 hours, depending on the bus and the trip circumstances, but I think 4 1/2 is pretty solid.

Anyway, I met up with Jeff, Amy, and Jack today. I met Jeff at the bus stand, and it was hilarious because they all assumed he was my friend once his bus pulled in (because he is white), which was actually very stereotypically true. I bust out laughing, actually.

Once together we had some delicious fresh fruit, fruit juice, and Indian food, so I ate very well today. It was a pretty chill afternoon. Lot's of chatting. I'm glad to be somewhere hot for a bit. Lushoto gets very cold. I did manage to buy a super soft fleece blanket here for 25,000 shillings, which made my whole day. It was a 20,000 shilling savings from Lushoto prices! I am pumped!

Anyway, I am staying at what we call the "Haunted Mansion" tonight. It is super cheap, but also has really crappy bathrooms. Jeff and I actually went to get drinks at this super-safi bar (where they were playing live reggae music) for the sole purpose of having access to a clean bathroom. Classy times. It was a super nice bathroom, and the music was awesome, so it was a sound decision. We were going to walk an extra half mile past our hotel to go to a different safi-bar, but the music caught our ears, so I'm glad we stopped.

I do have to say that it's been a little weird being in Tanga on an emotional level. I'm REALLY missing a couple of the people who were here last time, but aren't here now. Nonetheless, I am very happy to see all the other PCVs who are coming tomorrow! I'm bummed that my partner-in-crime isn't going to be able to attend the conference with me, but I'm trying to focus on the positives. I love my training class, and I think it will be nice to meet some new Health and Environment people. I'm also thinking a dance party is in store...and maybe some couch cushion shopping. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment